Fairly widespread problem after the publication of android mobile app has been done is customer error „App not compatible with this device”. Application can be installed from Crashlytics, from email client on the phone or simply by clicking on *.apk file, it works fine, but Google Playsays „app not compatible with this device” and user can not install it from the store.
What can be the reason of such error?
Well, there are can be few reasons:
1) A device is not „Android compatible” – if it can not correctly run apps written for the Android execution environment. The exact details of the Android execution environment are defined by the Android compatibility program and each device must pass the Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) in order to be considered compatible.
Here one can find list of google play compatible devices. If you will find there your device, that the reason of error meassage is other than device compatibility.
2) Second reason is possible bugs or data cashing in Google Play Store and Google Services Apps on your Android handset. If you have found your device on the list of supported devices and still have error, try the next steps on your handset:
go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Store > Clear Cache. Also clear the cache for Google Services Framework. Restart your device and try to use the Play Store. If you still have the issue, go ahead and Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Store > Uninstall updates. Once again, restart your device and try one more time to use the Play Store.
3) Error still exists. This time problem may be on the app developer side:
- application publication strategy on Play Market (for example publication for UK and your phone has RU locales)
- featured declared (or not declared) in AndroidManifest file have to be required, but your device does not have them. For example developer has published an app, that has one screeen where customer can call to contact center or smth like that. App developer has to add to this app permission to make calls in AndroidManifest. But due to one screen this App can not be available for tablets, that do not have telephony. In this case it is important for app developer to add this feature optional and handle screen behavior in runtime. More info how to do this you can read here. In Android it is called filtering. In this case, actually you can see error message „app not compatible with this device”
Well, now I hope app customer knows what to do in case of this „app error”